Friday, June 3, 2016

This Isn't Even Going Into The Wild Vocalizations*

I've never really talked about how much I like the band Disturbed on here for some reason.



My biggest appreciation for the band is probably just the style and performance quality of the music itself; I've only heard two or three other musicians who do something similar (off the top of my head, Ron Wasserman [probably best known for doing the early Power Rangers themes] and Masaki Endoh [mostly known for being a prominent member of JAM Project, I'd wager] are the only other musicians I can think of who capture the style of intense guitar and whatnot that I'm thinking of in more than one or two songs).

I do also really appreciate the turns of phrase that pop up sometimes, though:


I... kinda doubt that the phrase "for the apocalypse must be televised" was intended to evoke a smile, but it does. I don't know how much it does or doesn't have to do with delivery, but a lot of Disturbed's songs get a similar reaction out of me for at least one line.

Which isn't to say I can't take the lyrics seriously, just that they're completely secondary to my enjoyment of the music.

*If you've listened to more than a couple of Disturbed's songs, you'll probably know what I'm talking about. Actually, the best example of them I can think of comes not from Disturbed itself, but from one of Weird Al's polkas; obviously, Weird Al's music is supposed to make you laugh, and the high-pitched squealy approach he takes to the vocals in question makes it hilarious.

-Signing off.

No comments: