Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Impressive Moviemaking

(Fair warning: The clip I've embedded today has a ton of links in the annotations, so if that sort of thing annoys you (I know it bugs me), you might want to stop the video at 2:10 or turn the annotations off. Also, as is not uncommonly the case, I never bothered listening to this video*, so I don't really know what it sounds like.)

I still haven't seen the 2014 Godzilla movie (this sort of delay in watching stuff happens from time to time), but I did learn something interesting about the director's previous movie recently.

See this?



The film that clip comes from had a budget of $500,000 (and stayed "way under" it), all the special effects were done by one person on his home computer, and didn't have a script.

And that one clip tells me that the movie is pretty decent, at least on the visual effects front**.

*I had good reasons, the most important of which was "didn't feel like it." ...Don't tell me that's not a good reason, there are lots of things for which that is an incredibly sufficient reason not to do them.

**From what I've read, the story has significant elements in common with one of my all-time favorite films (you can tell I really love something when I call it a "film" because normally I think that's a super-pretentious word used by pretentious jerks being pretentious), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind***. If I ever spotted a DVD of this thing, I'd probably get it.

***For one thing, while there's a strong (and admittedly heavy-handed and occasionally nonsensical) environmentalist message in Nausicaa, I've always taken away that the "real" moral of the story is that strange/alien is not bad, just different. This story seems to have a similar message, if what I've read and this particular clip are anything to go by.


-Signing off.

No comments: