Monday, May 19, 2014

Probable Spoilers For Something I Haven't Seen

I think it's kind of hilarious how the trailers for this movie that appear to be US market trailers work really hard to obfuscate the fact that Godzilla is probably the (anti)hero* of the film. (I haven't watched it yet; I'd like to watch it in theaters, but my sister's job isn't particularly easy to work around at the best of times and now is not the best of times and also the nearest theater is a forty-five minute trip and look theatergoing is a pain in the patootie if you don't live in a big city okay?)



Guys, what do you think the main draw of Godzilla movies is? It's not just Godzilla wrecking stuff; that's fun but it gets boring fast. We (and by "we" I mostly mean me, although the daikaiju fandom in general largely agrees with me) want fights.

And (anti)hero Godzilla is generally far more entertaining than villain Godzilla.**

*Well, I don't know for sure, of course, but when a toyline has a monster that doesn't even get to have a real name alongside its star monster, what the heck is anybody supposed to think? I presume this is why sites reporting on toys aggressively tagged spoilers.

**Discounting the first movie, which I sadly haven't seen the unedited version of, and the time Godzilla was actually a psycho rageghost thing.

-Signing off.

No comments: