Tuesday, July 21, 2009

An Arbitrary List of Fictional Spaceships Whose Number Happens to be 10

So I was going through my rounds, and noted some lists of spaceships (Siskoid's list of ships that this list missed, and, well, that list), and thought to myself, well, I could do that today.

10. Leviathan (Star Wars, mostly video game and RPG stuff). Y'know, Star Wars' "Star Destroyer" design has been pretty much done to death. So it's always refreshing to see an interesting take on it.

9. Sanhedrim ship (Star Wars, some novels and stuff). I've always liked organic-looking spaceships, and this one I also like because it's used by warrior space monks to kill slavers. No joke.

8. Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (Star Wars, ROTJ and plenty of other places). I like organic ships, like I said. Also, it's a trap.

7. Lexx (Lexx). I've never seen the series, and have no particular intention of doing so, but I love the design. When I first saw it, I thought to myself "well, that looks like a huge space dragonfly or something." Then I read up on it, and discovered it was literally a huge space dragonfly that had been made into a ship. Awesome.

6. Axalon (Beast Wars). Not the prettiest ship around, but something about the darned thing has always appealed to me. Of course, on the Transformers Wiki they occasionally wonder if the Transformers actually use spaceships for anything other than immobile bases anymore, and the Axalon really typifies this...

5. Ark (G1 Transformers). ...though maybe not nearly as much as its predecessor. The Ark really always seemed kind of lame, although it survived hitting the planet Earth really fast and then sitting there for four million years, so obviously it was durable.

4. Nemesis (BWII Transformers). I don't have much to say about this planet-eating monster of a ship, but I will put up a picture obtained from the TFWiki:

3. Nemesis (G1 Transformers). Of course, the problem with doing stuff in Transformers is that pretty much all the really cool stuff has the same two or three names. The notable cool thing about this Nemesis is that it has some Star Destroyer and Klingon warship in its pedigree, but is functionally half warship, half mining ship. Yes. (It's equipped with a huge tractor beam/grinding and chopping thing hybrid with no apparent practical purpose for combat, but it'd be pretty handy for picking up junk to get useful metals refined out of them.)

2. Ark (Transformers Cybertron). Primus, the Transformers' creator, used this Ark as a cannon to destroy a giant black hole. 'Nuff said.

1. Nemesis (Transformers Animated). Um, this one spent all of its time as an immobile base too, but at least it kept floating. Really, the only thing that puts it here is that it's really pretty.

Dishonorable mention: To prove that I don't simply really like all Transformers spaceships, I despise this thing.

Hmm, I wonder what this list might have been like if I'd put some effort into it...

-Signing off.

1 comment:

Siskoid said...

Actually, those transformers ships are pretty worthy. Nice list!