Tuesday, March 3, 2009

East Vs. West: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

If, like me, you grew up in the late '80s and early '90s, chances are you recognize these guys.




If you do remember them (who could forget, really?-I once knew a girl who could sing the entire theme song word for word at the same pace as the intro who was a senior in high school [I was a year younger]), and remember them fondly, but haven't looked around too intensively on the internet for them... Well, brace yourself for a bit of a shock.




Hoom hoom hoom! SUPAH TURTLES!

The scary thing is, I remember seing commercials for toys of these guys...




...although obviously those ads weren't in Japanese.

Anyway, I'll just briefly point out that sudden mutations were not quite original to this. They first appeared...

...in the series intro...

...as we can see here.

It wasn't even the only time we see the Turtles more or less magically change back and forth from normal to bigger and stronger forms...

...but it is the first time the Ninja Turtles ever had noses. Also...

..."Saint Turtle?" What?! (Not that the design is bad... I actually really like those wings...)


And here is Dark Mu, the semi-obligatory anime babe with black wings and great legs. Who is so evil that she snuffs out stars by waking up. I kid you not.

I think we can just chalk this one up to the fact that Japan is hilarious and call it a day.

-Signing off.

No comments: