Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sense of Dread

A lot of the websites I regularly visit are down today, and some others which aren't haven't updated. Frustrating.

That has nothing to do with the main topic of this post, however. As I sit here, this persistent low booming emanates from my computer's speakers. Why?

Because there's a really goobery webmaster out there.

Check out this website.

Now, I'm as big a fan of giant transforming robots as anybody, but did you really have to do that with the site? What if I'm listening to music?

Okay, website rant aside. I'm not sure just what I think of this concept. On the one hand, as I said, I love giant transforming robots. The fact that the normal-sized "Dread Force" robots will be 80' tall is staggering. The art looks good, and as long as the coloring is clear, it should be able to tell the story.

On the other hand, it kind of sounds like it will be Transformers minus any sense of humor or cheerfulness or wonder. The robots are human-built war machines which have gradually adapted intelligence for themselves.

Part of the appeal of Transformers, for me personally, has always been that the Transformers were always something that could be identified with yet were still incredibly alien. I'll grant you-Transformers has often been schlocky. But Transformers is also fun.

Whether or not Dread Force will be any fun is questionable at this point.

I will keep an eye on it, though.

Um, go look at the Transformers Wiki if you like or are possibly interested in Transformers and haven't seen the site before. It's randomly funny.

(runs away)

No comments: